October 26, 2006

I need a permanant holiday!

Ohhhh getting back into things has been hard....
Gosh what a week so far - It all started on such a high note but soon came crashing down once I got to work Tuesday morning.
During my absense two of my collegues had a fall out (again)....
Is there catiness Meowww, mewoww claw claw in every office or just mine?? I don’t get it I really dont! – maybe they should look at Amy’s ‘Nice works’ post for inspiration or I should put a huge sticker on my forehead ‘Nice Works’ because being nice to one another is the simplest thing in the world!!
Enough of that….no need to tarnish my blog - its always nice here amongst friends and I feel like Ive neglected my little blog so much!!

Im still in the European time zone as I have no urge to sleep (nor do my boys Ughhh!) . My formal living room once so spick and span is now full of clothes but hey they are all clean and pressed nicely as Ive been ironing for hours every night.
Im slowly sifting through my snail mail paying bills, flicking through my subscriptions (7 magazines ...really?? that many??) and I have some people to thank via email for some lovely swaps - I will get to you soon my sweeties, promise promise

Do you like the scooter pic above - it all happened in an instant, the guy jumped off ran in to get something and the cat walked across the gate and there I was at that moment snapping away - one shot too and its a good one too dont you think?? I love it!!

Here are some things I bought during my trip - its so hard to find some cute souvenirs to take home that dont have a 'made in china' sticker but I think i did well



Greek coffee is always a must!
I also bought some long spoons that are great for cooking the coffee on the stove top or for serving with frappe or gelato in long glasses.
We also bought back 5kg of Shoushouko which is a cypriot sweet made of almonds and grape juice.
Its a handmade sweet and they string the almonds then dip it into a thick custard like mixture made of pure grape juice, honey or sugar and a handful of earth (yes dirt!) that helps thicken it they dip it once let it dry, dip again and again until its a thick coating - its served cut in thin discs and goes really well with nuts and other dried fruits with your alcohol. I eat chunks of it as a snack! Yum! Next time my friends grandmother makes it I think I might have to see the process.


I also bought some tiles for our house (No.22) and some hand carved wooden coaster plus a sweet little icon for my room.
I got a cute crochet bag and a funky silver bracelet.
My darling man bought me the beautiful 18ct white gold cross - I cherish it and wear it everyday now.....

We went to visit Andrew's aunt for lunch one day and she gave me a box of handmade silver forks and spoons - these are very popular in Cyprus and although quite formal, people use them to serve the preserves they make with the Summer fruit. Many years ago every greek girl would have a set in her dowry. I have many of these sets now - I love that each one was carefully made. As a young girl my mum bought my sister and I beautiful silver baskets that hold the forks - she still has mine at her house because she claims I have no proper display case in my home haha ...I must admit that as a child I thought it was so ugly but now i really appreciate its uniqueness, I'll have to show it to you oneday.....


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:07 AM

    What lovely souvenirs of your Greek Holiday, Anastasia! The silver bracelet and the crochet bag are probably the same things I would have picked up. (I used to do lots of crochet..) The silver spoons.. I have 3 - or is it 4? - sets of them given to me over the years by various relatives of Rob. Apparently Italy has a similar custom to Greece giving silver spoons! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful things you brought back! I am being inspired just by reading your post and seeing your beautiful photograph of the scooter and the cat.
    Good luck with your co-workers and all the laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you're back!!! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip and you brought some really great things home!!! I really missed your blog posts and can't wait to see your photos!Scooter photo is great, did you ride on one too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:10 AM

    It all sounds lovely and yummy. I agree - great shot..i thought it was out of a magazine!!!
    Hope work is better today..i think these things happen in most places unfortunately!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:48 PM

    Souvenirs and greek coffee... makes me want to travel!
    take care, grache

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Souvenirs and greek coffee... makes me want to travel!
    take care, grache

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:45 AM

    funny how our taste change as we get older. I too have taken stuff from my mum's house that I believed ugly when growing up.

    Oh my. It's a sign. I am getting older.

    I'll put the pattern in the post to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:32 AM

    wow, you got so many pretty items!!! and it sounds like such a dreamy vacation!! do you go once a year or was this a special trip?! my, it must have been so refreshing.... you make ME happy just seeing photos.... i dont know if i will ever get a vacation like that but its sweet to see photos and hear your good times :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:24 PM

    [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter video[/b][/url]

    [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]wetter fuerteventura[b][/url]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:36 AM

    [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]wetter forecast[/url]

    [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]wetter schottland[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment!! i really appreciate it!
Hugs
Anastasia
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...