August 27, 2010

A Girl Called.....Amanda
Many of you might already know Amanda, the lovely girl behind the popular Calico & Co blog but for those that dont im SO happy to feature her today - that way you can all get to meet her!

Amanda is a busy graphic designer,
a keen blogger who supports handmade, indie artists and crafters.
Not only does she love all things visually beautiful, Amanda loves paper goods and has recently launched her wonderful paper goods range, Lemon Tree Lane - her cards and prints pop with colour!


Hi Amanda!
Can you tell us what is currently inspiring you?
I am currently being inspired by the work of artist Blanca Gomez. I love that her style is bold, colourful and friendly, but there is a sophistication to her colour palette and style that I also find very, very appealing.
I am also being inspired by classic and retro patterns and all kinds of typography.

* Name 3 things you couldn’t live without right now?
1. Definitely my iMac. It contains most of my world and what is a Graphic Designer without her computer I ask you?
2. Magazines of all kinds and genres. I love them all and they contain so much inspiration for layout, content, again typography and more.
3. A smoothie each day. I love a good fruit smoothie and with the added bonus of some nutrient powder my immune system is slowly building after a few years of being unwell.

* Can you define to us, your personal style?
My personal style in terms of what I like is a mix of mid-century design and Scandinavian chic… in terms of my designing, I guess I would say it is colourful [I LOVE colour] graphic in the sense that I use strong shapes and patterns and minimal.
I don’t like to fill the whole space with designed elements. You should never be afraid of white space!

* if you could go back in time, what would you tell your teenage self?
I would tell my teenage self to trust her own intuition and not rely on the opinions of others. Her sixth sense about people and life is much stronger and more actuate than she realises. I would also tell her how important it is that she learn to love herself and do what is best for herself mentally, physically and emotionally.
Finally I would tell her that the next several years would be tough and seemingly impossible to overcome, but that step-by-step if she keeps holding on, things will get better!



* Amanda, your blog and work always looks amazing - what are your favourite colours?
I am so drawn to soft-mid turquoise at the moment.
I love that it is fresh and light and happy.
It has a great 50s feel to it and pairs so well with yellows, pinks/corals and so many other colours!


* What do you love about your City?
There is so much to love about Sydney.
The Harbour, the bridge, the Opera House, the hustle and bustle, the shopping, the book stores, the food and so much more. My favourite areas of Sydney are Paddington for the quirky shops and gorgeous terrace houses and The Rocks for the history and atmosphere. Living out in the South Western suburbs I get to experience a side of the larger Sydney area most Inner City and North Shorers never see and that’s the amazing mix of cultures that have descended on Sydney. Just 30 minutes drive in a few directions and you can be transported to China, or the Middle East for a few hours and experience their rich cultures, but then easily go back to the comfort of your own home.
It’s quite amazing!

* Do you have a favourite quote you'd like to share with us?
My favourite quote is actually by my Dad who passed away in 2004.
“Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Make it count!” I have actually turned this quote into a print you can frame and hang on your wall. Take a look at it here



Thanks so much Amanda! it was a pleasure to interview you and include you in my 'A Girl Called...' series.
to see more of Amanda and her work, check out all her links

Website
Etsy store
Madeit store
Calico & Co Blog
Lemon tree lane facebook
Calico & co facebook
Twitter

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea for a series, I look forward to reading more. I just purchased some of Amanda's cards, cannot wait to see them. She truly is wonderful at supporting and promoting other's work, so good to see a feature on her here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview! Always nice to get to know our blog friend a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ladies
    Thanks so much for your comments! It was so exciting to be on the other side of the interview this time!
    Amanda xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment!! i really appreciate it!
Hugs
Anastasia
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...