November 24, 2014

a Girl called Rebecca

I was happy to see Melbourne based illustrator, Rebecca Jones a finalist,  and 'special studio winner' in Lilla Roger's Global Talent search for 2014.
Rebecca's illustrative style is SO delightful, super sweet with lots of expressive detail! charming!
Im thrilled to have Rebecca featured on the blog today part of my 'Creative Girl' series...

Welcome Rebecca!
Can you tell us what is currently inspiring you? 
I gather my inspiration from so many places. The smallest thing can spark an idea. I love browsing in bookshops, going for walks, and flicking through my favourite magazines, Frankie and Uppercase.

Name 3 things you couldn’t live without right now? 
My morning coffee,  Lip balm (I use Rose Balm By Terry, it smells lovely and is seriously the best lip balm ever!), Palomino Blackwing pencils

How would you describe your style of Illustration?
It can be colourful and strong, sometimes soft, delicate and sweet. I take delight in adding all the little details.
I like things to look hand drawn and a bit wobbly, the imperfection adds a more interesting quality.

Can you tell us a little bit about your creative process especially when starting a new project/piece of artwork? Once I think of an idea, I start sketching on sheets of photocopy paper.
Knowing the paper can just be scrunched up and thrown away if I think my drawings aren’t up to much, gives me a feeling of freedom, and helps to loosen up my drawing. ...and thats why I can’t draw in sketchbooks anymore! I do lots and lots of pages of drawing. I draw everything I can possibly think of within my theme. It’s the huge amount of drawing that helps my ideas to really formulate. I scan in my favourites, and then manipulate them digitally. I usually then paint and draw a few more items once I have begun to build the image up, and as more ideas spring to mind.

Can you define to us, your personal style? 
Well, I think how my studio looks sums it up nicely. It is cluttered and messy, with lovely little bits and bobs all over the place. And it is full of colour, pattern and inspiration.

Do you have a favourite colour or colour combinations? 
I find it very hard to create anything that doesn’t use minty blues or teals. I love mint with pops of yellow, peachy pinks and inky navy at the moment.

What is your favourite smell or fragrance?
I love to bake, and nothing can beat the smell of a chocolate cake baking in the oven






What do you love about your city? 
I have lived in Melbourne for ten years now and I love it. The city has a sophisticated and creative feel to it. There so many beautiful cafes and lovely independent little shops to explore. There is always a lot of stuff going on. And only an hour or so away and you can be right in the country or by the ocean.




Do you have a favourite quote you’d like to share with us?
 ‘If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try’ - Seth Godin

To see more of Rebecca's beautiful work head on over to her
Website
Blog
Facebook
Society6 
Etsy Shop
Instagram

10 comments:

  1. Cutie patootti. This is so sweet. I always love your shares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview and images. Big fan of Rebeccas work and so nice to have discovered your blog too. x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, love Rebecca's work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I loved Melbourne when I went there but it's been a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great, I love all of Rebecca's work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such adorable illustrations, I love the one of the lady with the cats!! I love the smell of fresh cake too, mmm, cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! Love the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful illustrations and love the interview too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a cute girl, nice motive and colouring... like this..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment!! i really appreciate it!
Hugs
Anastasia
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...