July 21, 2014

Shibori techniques on paper....

Shibori is a Japanese dyeing technique using binding, pleating, folding as well as rubber bands, clamps, wood and rocks (?) to create beautiful patterns.
It seems to be everywhere lately ... a follow up from the recent trend, Ikat, maybe?
its been used on home-wares, bed linen, clothes, tote bags...I love it in a beautiful intense indigo blue, its a little more refined than the drippy 70s tie-dye technique but just as cool!
I thought the DIY instructions looked easy enough but decided to give it a go on paper (as you do?..) I had some cotton paper at home and I also tried it on canvas paper and traditional water colour paper.

...paper is not cloth and I tried hard to get some crisp folds. My paper was quite thick and the elastic bands hard to keep on ( I used the boys loom bands haha...not strong enough) it was all for fun anyway, a bit of experimenting on a quiet afternoon so nothing serious and I managed to get some interesting patterns that I've added to my inspiration journal...

I noticed there's a Saturday Shibori workshop near by - think I might join in?


2 comments:

  1. I think the results look really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanjs Vickie...it was interesting to see what would happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment!! i really appreciate it!
Hugs
Anastasia
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...