March 4, 2014

Halloumi cheese cake

I'm a little bit proud that the humble Halloumi cheese is quickly becoming a popular favorite ...they even sell it in Coles these days, although I prefer to buy mine from the local Deli (in a big bucket!) .
Just about every cafe has Halloumi on its menu and why not? Its delicious...
This is my childhood cheese, I've been eating it ALL my life...grated and sprinkled on pasta, in pies, served with watermelon on a Summers day,  hot, soft and straight off the barbeque..
This here is my Mother's recipe for Halloumi Cake
-  its delicious served warm and out of the oven and still perfect the next day.
It has a sweet and salty taste which is truly satisfying.


Ingredients
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour (sift)
3 1/2 cups grated Halloumi
1 cup milk
2 teaspoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon dried mint
1/2 cup sultanas

Method
Preheat oven to 180 deg.celsius
In a mixing bowl add all the ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon until incorporated.
Spoon into prepared cake tin and bake for 40 minutes until golden.
Test by using a skewer or knife and make sure it comes out clean after inserting into cake.
Let is cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a serving platter.
Serve warm or at
room temperature with some tea or coffee - heaven!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Anastasia, it looks awesome! That Cyprus halloumi cake/bread is amazing and your recipe and photos make me want to run out and get the ingredients to make it. Enjoy and kisses to your mom and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Haloumi and I love Cake! I will try this!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your mother's recipe Anastasia, I love halloumi and can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I substitute fresh mint for dried and if so what quantity..my daughter has a huge mint patch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id say so Margaret - maybe chop it finely and add a teaspoon or two...? or you can air dry your fresh mint to make dry mint, we always dry ours at home in the sun under a sieve...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to comment!! i really appreciate it!
Hugs
Anastasia
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...